e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Ding ALERT!!!

So there I was, sulking at home because I'm sick and can't go surf. So I decided to rewax my surfboard this morning. I figured that at least I'd do SOMETHING with my surfboard. So, I was happily peeling off the wax with my comb, looking forward to giving it a fresh coat of wax. Dum dee doo dee doo, dum dee doo dee doo, dah dah dee doo~~ (this is what I sing in my head when I'm happily doing something on my own. Also the song that I sing in my head when I'm waiting for a wave by myself in the lineup ;-) . And when I was done,... GASP!! I see a crack the size of my hand on the deck of my board! Well, not really, it was actually the size of my middle finger, but it might as well have been the size of my hand. Thank goodness I didn't run the board under hot water instead to get the wax off with my comb. SHIIIIIET! Now what do I do!?!? My beloved board is sick with a big ole' DING!!! My very first ding since I started learning to surf. I became paranoid that I may have other cracks on the board that I didn't know about so I began to inspect the entire board inch by inch. Luckily, that was the only crack! I found a few other minor dings but those hadn't penetrated the surface of the fiberglass so I felt that those were okay (are they? I hope so). Part of me was glad that I hadn't gone surfing without knowing that the crack was there. Otherwise, my board would have be screwed. The other part of me was saying, "holy shitskis! how the heck did THIS happen! Damnit, I should have kept my board in my board bag ALL the time!" And another part of me is thinking, "how the heck am I supposed to surf tomorrow?" And straight to the internet I went to research how to repair my crack. I could tape it, take it to a shop, or try to repair it myself. I chose the last method since I'm more of a "hands-on, do-it-yourself" type of girl. I went to ZJ (salesperson told me that they're having a big sale there on march 19th, by the way) and bought a ding repair kit with the resin, catalyst, filler, etc. The thing was that the salesperson told me that it was really easy to do and that the instructions were easy. So, I get home and read the instructions, and re-read it, and re-read it.... And after reading it over about 10 times, I'm still not clear what I'm supposed to do. Am I just supposed to mix the resin and the catalyst and just dab it on the crack, let it dry, then sand? or am I supposed to use that cloth that the kit came with? Isn't there an instructional video or something? So, after 30 minutes of contemplating what to do, I mixed the resin and catalyst and just dabbed it generously on the crack. And here I am now, waiting, hoping that one of my surfer friends would call me back and let me know that I did the repair correctly. D'oh.... I feel like such a dud... I only hope that I finished the repair right and that I can surf tomorrow... :-\

1 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger OutdoorChick said…

    Thanks for the tip, ruggerjay. I'll take it to a shop this week... I've already gone into the water with it. hope my board is okay...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home