e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Monday, March 14, 2005

Off. Just Plain OFF!

What was wrong with me today? Man...yesterday, I had a pretty good session at Zuma - got my popups down pretty good (I practiced pop-up after pop-up in the white water), and then went on the outside to even catch a wave all the way in (YAY!). But today, I couldn't even get up for the life of me. As Whiffleboy and Surfsister says, I guess everyone has their off days. Was it that it was a different beach, therefore different waves? Maybe I need to go back to Zuma? Or more practice at Sunset? I probably just need more practice, period.

I headed to Sunset for dawn patrol today. Low tide at 6am, so I was looking forward to going out at Sunset. Angela couldn't wake up so I was Hans Solo today. I got there at 6am and didn't see too many cars, so got nervous that Sunset wasn't breaking. But then, I saw the Shermator and Stephanie (I still haven't met them, by the way) start to suit up, so I knew that it was okay. I had a great session at Zuma yesterday, so even though I was tired when I woke up this morning, I still decided to go out. I started to paddle out and saw some sets coming in. They seemed sorta "big" from where I was paddling (remember, big to me is like waist to shoulder high :-P). So I freaked out and paddled for my life! Poor me - I didn't make it over the first wave and got pummeled. And then got pummeled again by the next wave. Poor, poor me. Then I paddled for my life to make it over the next wave and finally made it. On the next set, I got ready to paddle to try to catch the wave. (With my brand new confidence from yesterday, I was psyched to get on the first wave.... ) And when the wave came, I "paddled like I wanted that shit", felt my board catch it, and low and behold, my nose goes down, I start to pop up, my foot trips on my booties, and the next thing I know, I'm doing the washing machine dance underwater. What the heck, man! This kept happening over and over again. If I didn't trip on my booties, I got up too early. If I got the timing right to catch the wave, I hesitated too long and pearled. Then I started getting spooked, and it was all over. Well, that sucked. I suck. Period. I was so off this morning, it wasn't even funny. After not being able to get up on the waves, I felt bad for taking the wave from other 2 experienced surfers near me. (But then again, I was in front of the tower so I'm not sure if they were really experienced or not. They looked good on the waves though). Such a mental game this surfing is... Sigh... So I went home with my tail between my legs today. :-[

Needless to say, I was disappointed in my session today. Eh, but at least I got wet. I'll be better next time... right? Hopefully?

On a happy note, Angela and I decided to go to Costa Rica for the surf. Yippeeeee~! I really hope we get better by then. It was kinda funny how we decided to go actually. We talked about it one day. Then the next day, we found tickets for $312 and bought it. Well, actually, I'm just about it buy it right now after I finish blogging. :) We'll be going in April for 7 days. woohoo!! Can't wait! I hope my surfing gets better from the trip...

Wait, where do I get a boardbag for airplane travel for cheap?...

1 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Whiffleboy said…

    Hang in there. As you know, bad days happen to everyone. Although it's easier said than done, don't let the bad experiences affect your future sessions. Admittedly, I'm probably the last person that should be dishing out that particular advice. :-)

    Also, the Tower area at Sunset is kind of weird. From my experience, the wave breaks waaaay late there - not allowing sufficient time to actually get to some open shoulder. It's alright for whitewater runs but if you want some face move up in between the stairs and potties. You'll have a better experience. Just be very, very careful and watch for others.

    Whiff

     

Post a Comment

<< Home