e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Friday, March 18, 2005

DAMN the RAIN!

DAMN the RAIN! I've been looking forward to surfing this weekend all week! I've had a really long, hard week at work, especially since I'm doing 2 people's jobs. I'm looking to hire someone to help but good help is so hard to find....

It was especially hard for me to get out of bed this morning. My cell phone alarm went off at 5:15am, then again at 5:25am. Then finally at 5:30, I rolled out of bed, half asleep, walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth, and put on my bikini, all in the dark. Good thing I pre-packed my car last night (Thanks Whiffleboy for the pre-packing idea - I don't know why I didn't do it before...), or I would have forgotten my wetsuit this morning. I wish I had an enclosed parking space though. That way, I could rack up my car with my surfboard too and have it ready to go in the morning. Then I can REALLY literally roll out of bed and into my car. O well, I'll be more picky in the next place I choose to move into.

I've been thinking about ways to maximize my time in the water and I think I almost have it down. Besides pre-packing my car, I think I'll just go to the beach in my wetsuit from now on. Heck, I come back home in my wetsuit anyways, so I don't really need a change of clothes, right? Roll out of bed and into my wetsuit, brush my teeth, grab my surfboard, then head out to the car. I'll just keep a couple of towels ready in my car. That way, I save precious minutes changing in and out of my wetsuit in the morning at the beach. And THAT translates into MORE time in the water. Mm-hmm.

I arrived at Sunset at 6am, but didn't see any cars. (I got worried that this meant that there were no waves, and I was right) All except Sherman's car. YES, I FINALLY met Sherman today! :-) I talked to him about surfing, while waiting for the waves to pick up. But nada! I think Sherman is my idol. He's been surfing for 45 years since he was about 10 - which makes him about 55. He says that he tries to surf everyday. So I will do that too. Since I was pressed for time (I had to go into the office by 9am as usual - a BIG BUMMER in my daily routine these days), I decided to go to Bay Street to at least get wet. It was actually okay at Bay Street. And the tide was going out so the small waves got better with time - longer distance for me to ride since I can't really turn (on purpose) yet. There were some small waves - good for me. But the waves at Bay Street was funny today - not the usual kind where they have the punch. These waves didn't have too much power to them so I had to get a bit further up on the board. I had fun nevertheless. Then 7:30am rolled around and I had to get my ass out of the water. :-[

Since the rain is going to ruin my surfing weekend, I'm headed to ZJ Boardinghouse for their sale first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping to pick up some stuff for Costa Rica - woohoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home