e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Monday, April 18, 2005

Como estas? Pura Vida!

So much to talk about! So many thoughts are running through my brain about Costa Rica right now. I don't even know where to begin! I'll try to make it short and not bore you with the details. I got back late last night from Costa Rica. After one week of surfing, eating, sleeping, and surfing, a full day of work at the office kicked my ass today. I had my BEST surf sessions EVER in Costa Rica. MMMMmmmMmMMmm...waaaaaarm waaaaaaaater... Here is how it went down:

After landing in San Jose, we picked up our luxurious Daihatsu Terios and headed to Tamarindo. We decided not to bring our surfboards since American Airlines was charging $80 per surfboard each way. I figured that since we were novices, we wouldn't feel much difference between our own boards and rentals anyways. Yea, yea, I should have done some more due diligence to fly the airline that charged the least for transporting surfboards. But this actually worked out since I liked the rental boards much better than my own board at home. I drank a shot of vodka, and I slept like a baby on our redeye flight while Angela played poker during the flight with 2 guys that we met on the plane... and then got drunk and slept for an hour before we landed.

We didn't like Tamarindo much. It started with our hotel. After taking a few wrong turns, we finally arrived at our hotel - Tamarindo Vista Villas. Man, our room SUCKED BIG TIME. It was SO SMALL. All the surfers that I had met and the books that I had read recommended this place, so I was looking forward to a luxury resort with a nice large room. But no, our room was about 13x13, with 2 single beds taking up almost the entire room. We did have a nice ocean view, but our room PLAIN SUCKED. The pool and the swim-up bar was nice, I guess, but it didn't make up for the sucky ass room. We weren't too impressed with the town either. Reminded us of Tijuana. One good thing was the waaaaaarm water and the surf. What a GREAT feeling to surf in just a bikini and board shorts! No thick rubber wetsuits or booties to get in the way. I must note, however, "do not surf in just a bikini top without a rashguard" cuz sooner or later, it WILL come off, especially in my case. Mine came off at least 3 times when I got pummeled by set waves. I had to hold on to them each time I washing-machined it to prevent them from completely coming off. The surf was good for us at the Tamarindo beach break by the rivermouth - small and fun, but nothing really notable to talk about, except my occasional flashing escapades. Small little waves to warm up for my greatest, best sessions ever in Jaco. (We kept hearing about Witch's Rock, and of course wanted to check it out but thought it would be better to save it for next time when we came back better surfers.)

Also, another bad thing about Tamarindo was that Angela broke out into uncontrollable itch attacks after being in the Tamarindo ocean water for about 45 minutes. Good thing that I had brought my Cortaid which killed the itch. So after each surf session in Tamarindo, she had to run up to our room to apply the Cortaid to stop the rash. I also developed a weird allegic rash on my arms and legs on the second day - weird little bumps all over my arms, shoulders, and legs. I think this might have been from the dirty ocean water. Some of the other guests had developed a similar rash as well. I later found out that the water in Tamarindo isn't very clean especially by the rivermouth where we were surfing. I was told later that there is no underlying current to take the runoff away from the beach. I liked the 9-0 Surftech epoxy tufflite board that I had rented though - light, quick, easy to catch waves. I liked it even better than Jane or my Becker and had to fight the urge to buy it! :-P

After 2 days in Tamarindo, we decided that we had had enough of our rashes and decided to head down to Jaco - supposedly the surf capital of the country. I thought about heading down to Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, but Angela wanted to spend some time in Jaco, so I decided to save Mal Pais and Santa Teresa for next time.

Jaco was great. We stayed at Hotel Club Del Mar away from the hustle and bustle of Jaco. It was a bit isolated which was nice, on the southeastern end of Jaco, close to Playa Hermosa which had bigger waves for people who like the quicker, advanced waves of El Porto. (Quicksilver was sponsoring a surfing contest there btw while we were there. Sweet!). As soon as we arrived at the hotel, Angela went to take a nap and I walked over to the local surf board to rent a surfboard. Carton's was the name of the place. It turns out that Carton is a local shaper. I rented a 9-3, Carton's "classic longboard," as he put it. I met the shaper's brother, Warner. A nice fellow. For the next three and a half days, I surfed in the mornings when I woke up and in the evening for the evening glass-off. 2 hours each session. Man, it was SOOO GOOOOD. So good that I wanted to cry... So consistent and good shape for people who suck like me. Warm water, bikini (and a rashguard), board shorts, and more warm water. And the Carton board was so sweeet. It was real wide (I think 23") with an extreme rocker and pin tail. No pearling on this baby. It was heavier than Jane, but more stable and turned well. It definitely treated me well. I wanted to buy it! But resisted the temptation. (Now, I'm on the look out for a longer board. Maybe a 9-3 or 9-6. Boy O Boy, I hope I don't get it as bad as surfsister or Marlon.... :-\) By my 4th session in Jaco, I was paddling for the bigger shoulder to head high waves (as well as the smaller ones), and was successfully making the drop down the face. The first time I did this in Jaco, I was thought it was a freak accident. I was jumping for joy, of course. Then when I kept doing it repeatedly, I was speechless! I even tried to walk the board a little bit. Failed miserably but tried. Can you believe it? Of course, when I did get pummeled by a set wave, my bikini top (even under the rash guard) flung up to hang around my neck :-P. (I hope no one saw.) I was catching the smaller knee to waist high waves with no problems. No scaredy cat here no more!

I met a surfer from Manhatten Beach, Herb, who was also vacationing at the same resort. We surfed together each morning and evening for the rest of the trip. It was so nice to have someone to surf with since Angela couldn't always wake up.

I surfed Jaco for two and a half hours Sunday morning for the last time. Surfed til I couldn't stand up anymore. Caught so many waves, wave after wave. Ah.... There was only about 5 surfers out at this particular break so we each took turns. Man.. GOOD TIMES... This was the best time that I'd ever had surfing. THE BEST, hands down. I'm definitely coming back to this place. Maybe even later this year.

By the way, I got tons of mosquito bites. Even with the repellent. I probably got about 50 on my body. Yes, eaten alive. I didn't even realize that I had gotten bit so many times, since some of these bites didn't start itching until today. Also got stung multiple times on my legs and hands by something called Golden Thread in the water. They felt like little needle pricks. Weird.

Jazzed from my great surf sessions in Jaco, I even surfed Sunset this morning. But didn't have such a great session. I had SUCH great surf sessions in Costa Rica. The first waist to chest high wave that I paddled for, I pearled! What the heck, man! Is it Jane? Is it the wave? Is it me? Is it all of the above? And I just kept falling right off my board when I tried to catch the wave. A little push and I just slid right off - like I was laying on top of a giant bannana peel. I could really tell the difference between Jane and the Carton longboard that I rode yesterday morning - the weight, stability, the dimensions, ease of turning, ease of catching waves, etc... . I want the Carton longboard with the Costa Rican wave back! :-[

Okay, was that long enough? I might remember some more stuff later.

:-)

4 Comments:

  • At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds awesome!

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Surfsister said…

    I don't like you! I've never liked you! Just kidding. I'm just jealous. Did you take any pictures?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pura Vida, Mae!

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Anonymous surf lessons los angeles said…

    My uncle took Spanish lessons in Costa Rica, but he lives in Puerto Rico now. Have you ever tried surfing in Puerto Rico?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home