e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Friday, May 06, 2005

Err.. what were we thinking?

Yea, it rained last night, but I wanted to surf damnit! A little bacteria won't hurt too much, right?

I arrived at Bay Street at 6:30am. Damnit, completely blown out! But desperate for surf, I waited for it to get better. I saw Sherman and Coz, who weren't suiting up (bad sign!). But Marvin was there, sittin' in his car, contemplating whether to go in or not. We were both already suited up half way as usual. (This is how I always go to the beach btw - roll out of bed and into my wetsuit, then subsequently, into my car with my board) So when Marvin decided to go in, despite seeing Sherman decide to not paddle out, I decided to go in with him. I wouldn't go in alone, so I felt better that he was going to paddle out. I think we were 2 of err... 4 other desperate surfers on the water (not a good sign). The water was choppy, the air was windy, and I felt like I was going to get sea sick. After 15 minutes, I thought, "what the f**k are we doing out here? there ain't no waves, man!" Then it actually started getting better. Sure, the water was still choppy, but the waves started rolling in and there were actually some rideable waves, IF you were sitting in the right position. I even managed to catch 4 unnotable waves. That's 4 more than how many I expected to catch. :-] They were all closeouts, of course. I tried to watch the waves to distinguish the closeouts vs. the peaky ones. But judging from my session this morning, errr..emmm...err... I give myself a D- in judging the waves. :-(

Sigh... better luck next time, I guess. Hopefully, I will be out in better conditions next time. No surfing this weekend as I'm off to Lake Mojave for a kiting trip this weekend. Sunset will be my spot for my morning surf sessions next week. Woohoo!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Whiffleboy said…

    I'll be at Sunset Monday morning as the conditions will be just right - nice swell and a coordinated tide.

    I'll be at the Point!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home