e

My Surf Blog: Learning to be a Surfer in Los Angeles...

A woman's trials and tribulations of learning to surf in Los Angeles

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Recovered, but the same old song and dance

I managed to get up this morning before 6 am without an alarm. I think I finally have that internal clock thing going here. I felt better this morning - at least I was able to walk and lift things without pain. :-P Unfortunately, I didn't get Whiffleboy's comment until now - I just got back from Sunset. Mhm. I never learn, do I? I didn't check the tide report last night because I was aching.... Okay, I was lazy. :-
I arrived at Sunset, and saw the usual crew - Marlon, Danny, and Joey (who I affectionately call "Cupcake" as he calls me his "Buttercup" - Awwww.... how cute. hahaha! I'm SOOO the affectionate type... NOT!). I saw Sherman who wasn't going in. But I did see Marvin and his buddy paddling in. I watched them for about 15 minutes to see if they would catch anything as I decided to paddle out if they were able to ride something. But NADA. I saw Marvin paddling for a few waves but they just rolled on through under him. As I was leaving, Sunset looked like it was getting better with the tide filling in, but I had to get my ass back home to get ready for work. DAMNIT! Why does work get in the way so much? It's interfering with my surfing progress! I said good bye to Cupcake, Marlon, and Danny and hauled my lame arse back home. And here I am. Man... 2 mornings without surfing. And it looks like it will be 3 (I just checked the tide and it looks like it won't be any better tomorrow).

Will I get to surf this week? THAT is the question of the week.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recommend you just get in the water each time you go to the beach unless it is a) too big for you, or b) so blown out and choppy as to be impossible to ride. As a beginner you need the paddling strength training, and you'll feel better all day even if you don’t catch a wave. At least I get that feeling from getting wet and working out a little. You drove there, the board and wetsuit are in the car, so just go. Many times I have forced myself to go out in mediocre looking conditions and it turned out to be more fun than predicted. Of course, I still get lazy on many flattish mushy mornings. Someone told me when I was learning and struggling to see if I could arrange to go at least three days in a row, four even better. I was only able to go weekends at the time. So I planned some Fridays off and went for it. It really, really helped and greatly speeded my progress.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home